Join our Team
Teacher Aide: (Year-round and summer staff)
This para-professional position requires work in a child care center with children from two weeks to six years old. An employee in this position helps children in all program activities, interacts with them, guides their interactions with each other, and instructs them in the use of materials. The Teaching Aide is an integral and vital member of the teaching team in the classroom. Teacher Aides are hired to the center and may be assigned to any classroom as needed. The Aide duties are carried out under supervision of the Lead Teachers and Assistant Teachers.
Applications can be picked up at the center from 7:30a-6p; must apply in person. All applications must be followed by a 30-40 minute observation in a classroom. Observations can be done Monday-Thursday between 10:00-11:30am or 3:30-4:30pm; you do not have to do an observation the same day you pick up an application, but an observation must be complete to move forward; no appointment necessary.
- High school diploma required, prefer additional education in Child Development or a related field.
- Knowledge relating to young children, First Aid methods, and safety requirements.
- Ability to work with children in a warm, responsible, and positive manner and to react calmly in a crisis situation.
- Physical and mental stamina
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to bend down, kneel, sit on floor, run and move quickly
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs, repeatedly and as needed
Specific job descriptions for Teaching Aides will vary in each classroom and will be determined by the Lead or Assistant Teachers and Administrative Director at the beginning of each term. Additional responsibilities may be added or agreed upon by the Aide and the Team Teachers.
- Room maintenance: help keep toys in order, keep floors and table spaces clean and orderly during the working day, sort artwork, arrange bulletin boards, etc.
- Supervise activities as directed by the Lead or Assistant Teacher including eating, toileting, tooth brushing, napping, dressing, free play activities, small group and outdoor activities
- Aides are expected to interact with the children in a warm, positive, and supportive manner; to intervene in children activities only when adult assistance is needed; to remain with one or more children until relieved by another adult; and to use positive guidance approaches.
- Report to the Lead or Assistant Teacher any pertinent problems, injuries incurred by the children, observations and parent inquiries.
- Accept the suggestions of the Lead Teacher, Assistant Teacher and/or Administration to improve teaching and management techniques.
- Check the daily and/or weekly schedule and lesson plans to ensure understanding of daily expectations.
- Attend all required aide staff in-service training and/or meetings.
- Work varying amounts of time, from three to eight hours per day; scheduled no more than 35 hours per week;
- MSU student employees are only permitted to work 29 hours a week;
- Written and oral evaluation once per term by the Lead Teacher.
- MSU students are required to work during finals weeks (at least two shifts).
- Performances and evaluation procedures will be followed as listed in the SCDC Employee Handbook;
- Preference will be given to those who have afternoon availability.
Employment is contingent upon the completion and positive review of a Michigan Child Care Background Check, Tuberculosis Test, and References Check.